The following collection of links and resources are intended for the faculty, staff, and students at Emory University research labs and graduate studies in biological and biomedical sciences.
Books and Journals
Recommended Electronic Databases
Sources for finding scientific literature and pre-clinical studies
- PubMed is a free database developed and maintained by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). PubMed Central (PMC), an open access component of PubMed, houses full-text publications resulting from NIH supported research.
- Web of Science is a subscription database covering over 12,000 high impact journals worldwide in the areas of science, social science, arts and humanities since 1900. Citation counts and analysis options are available for all included articles.
- Scopus is a subscription literature database covering over 20,000 journals in sciences, technology, medicine, and social sciences. Articles include citation data and bibliometric analysis options.
- EMBASE is a European-based subscription database offering worldwide biomedical coverage Excellent for drug, pharmacology and disease indexing.
- Faculty Opinions, previously known as Faculty of 1000 or F1000 Prime, offers post-peer review recommendations of the best published literature in 40 disciplines. Articles are rated and expert commentaries explain their impact and importance to their field.
- PsycINFO features citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports from the professional and academic literature in psychology and related areas.
- BIOSIS Previews, integrated with Web of Science, provides pre-clinical literature discovery across many life sciences disciplines including botany, ecology, and zoology. Enhanced search features allow for taxonomic data and terms to be included with traditional key words.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, & Reviews
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Stedman's Medical Dictionary, available from STAT!Ref
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences: Includes structures, processes, methods, systems and applications across the biological and biomedical sciences
- Gene: a genomic encyclopedia from NCBI
- Annual Reviews Online: offers critical reviews written by leading scientists in over 40 disciplines.
The following are recommended resources and links to provided library subscriptions for laboratory protocols and experimental methods.
Genomic and Proteomic Analysis Tools
Analysis tools are provided through the library for individual use. Registration is required but tools may be downloaded to authorized computers. Additional quantitative and qualitative software packages are listed under Software Available at WHSC Library.
- DNAStar Lasergene: Comprehensive software suite for DNA and protein sequence analysis. DNAStar Lasergene may be downloaded directly from Emory Software Express. Registration is available for Emory University Researchers only.
- MetaCore: Pathway analysis and data mining. To register for MetaCore use Ask a Librarian or email Jeremy Kupsco. You will then receive a direct email with login information.
Federal and University resources for identifying funding opportunities and monitoring compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy
- Identify Available Funding: Emory tools and resources for helping researchers identify available funding
- NIH Public Access Policy: Information regarding the Public Access Policy and ensuring compliance for required manuscripts
- Rigor and Reproducibility Seminar Series: Recordings and slides from the jointly sponsored webinars produced in collaboration from the Emory University Libraries and WHSC Data Science Initiative.
- Selected book for Grant and Scientific Writing: Links to Emory books and ebooks for scientific and grant writing